Juva Health CEO and Founder Herbert Ong
I grew up watching my mom deal with very painful migraine attacks. As a clinician — I was previously a hospital pharmacy director — I had always hoped there would be new migraine treatments to treat this debilitating illness.
After founding two healthcare analytics software companies, I’m now following my passion to more directly impact patients’ lives as the CEO of Juva Health, a digital health company that will soon release a biofeedback app.
It’s our company’s mission to empower people to take control of their pain, health and well-being.
We’re going to focus first on migraine and chronic pain, but later versions of this app will treat stress and a variety of other conditions.
Why a Biofeedback App?
A few years back, as life would have it, I was researching non-drug migraine solutions when I stumbled upon a treatment modality called biofeedback. Biofeedback is a well-established and well-accepted treatment. Hundreds of hospitals have biofeedback clinics. Hundreds of studies have proven that it is as effective as medication not only for migraine but for nine different health conditions.
In biofeedback therapy, a patient is attached to sensors that monitor bodily functions. Working with a professional, you learn to control these bodily functions — things like your heart rate, body temperature and muscle tension — to relieve and prevent symptoms of illness.
The problem is you have to visit a hospital or clinic, and you have to be hooked up to instruments and wires. It’s expensive and not always covered by insurance so it's not truly an option for most patients, especially people with migraine who may experience pain so severe they can’t even consider getting out of bed to go to a biofeedback clinic.
The good news is that the very technology that you may be reading this article on — your smartphone or tablet — is now advanced enough that it can replicate the same biofeedback treatment that for the past 30 years has only been offered in a clinic.
How Our Migraine Treatment Works
Our migraine treatment app is special for several reasons:
- *No doctor visits, wires or special equipment is required. You can practice biofeedback in any quiet space at your convenience.
- It will be offered at a fraction of the cost of in-clinic biofeedback treatments.
- It works well with medication therapies or as a drug-free option, for those who prefer that or for those who can’t take traditional migraine medications, for example, women who are pregnant and/or breastfeeding.
- It uses your smartphone video camera and an optional finger temp device to record vital signs such as your heart rate, breathing rate and temperature. You can see these numbers on a relaxation meter so you can track your progress in real-time and learn to change those vital signs to help relieve your symptoms.
- It features guided biofeedback relaxation sessions designed by Dr. Dawn Buse, a nationally respected headache expert and researcher who has successfully administered these same therapy modules in her clinic to give patients relief.
- Based on your individual metrics and progress through these 20-minute therapies, the app can help you custom design a program for your condition and goals.
Sign up Now to be Eligible for Discounted Membership
Today we’re asking you to please join us in our mission to become the world’s most effective at-home treatment for migraine and other serious illnesses.
We’re currently testing our beta version of the app with migraine patients, and their feedback is overwhelmingly positive. It guides users into a deep state of relaxation that immediately increases their sense of comfort and well-being.
Now biofeedback therapy will be accessible to anyone — no more visits to clinics, no more instruments and wires and much at a much more affordable cost.
Please join our cause to help people improve their health. To show our appreciation for your early support, we will be offering early supporters discounted app membership rates, so sign up today to qualify.